VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
Dates & Booking
- To be arranged
- Start date:
Wed 22nd & Thu 23rd July
To book a course, call Camilla on
Payments are by cheque
Who is the course designed for?
This course is designed for learners who are currently working in a sports environment and would like to enhance their massage skills. It is also suitable for Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, Sports Therapists and Sports Massage practitioners’ Once qualified, candidates have the choice whether to join the Sports Massage Association (SMA).
How long does it take to complete?
The course is delivered in 9 days. However, the days will be divided to ensure students enough time to complete case studies and assignments to show evidence in their portfolios. These days include a sporting event and a day for practical assessments. Learners are expected to complete 100 hours of logged treatments, 50 of which can be brought forward from the Level 3 Sports Massage.
Pre-requisites: Candidates must be in possession of one of the following:
• VTCT Level 3 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy or equivalent qualification.
• You will also need a First Aid ‘Appointed Persons’ certificate at the time of certification and therefore this qualification could be undertaken in parallel with the Level 4 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy.
• If you do not hold any of the qualifications above, please speak to us about your requirements as we can provide you with the training to allow you to progress to the Level 4 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy.
What does the course cover?
- Understanding of advanced anatomical, physiological and pathological principles relevant to the application of sports massage.
- Origin and insertions of muscles
- Advanced Palpation skills to include bony landmarks, joint lines and muscles
- Advanced joint assessments of the knee, hip, ankle, shoulder
- Gait and postural analysis
- Active, passive and resisted movements
- Pre-sport, inter and post-sport massage
- Applying massage methods to prevent and manage injury
- Physiological and neurological effects of massage methods
- Practical anatomy & physiology for sports massage
- Ethics and professionalism
- Feedback and Aftercare
- Critically evaluate massage strategies and methods to inform on future treatments
What is the programme structure?
The course comprises of the practical aspects of sports massage and learning the correct techniques to a competent standard. Theoretical learning will also take place and students are expected to complete Assignments, case studies and work experience in their own time.
• This qualification is comprised of three mandatory units and has a credit value of 19.
• Conducting Subjective and Objective assessment.
• Provide Sports Massage Techniques to prevent and manage injury.
• Treatment modalities to support soft tissue repair.
• Successful candidates will also receive CPD points from the SMA.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed throughout the course working in the learning salon and at events in and around Salisbury. Assessment will be through observation, case studies, Assignments and written papers. You will be supported by your tutor to guide you through the course and they will also be available for post course guidance should you need it. There will be plenty of emphasis on practical massage and the opportunity to be assessed at various sporting events with a tutor present.
What qualification will I achieve?
On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a VTCT Level 4 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy: a stepping stone to the Level 5 certificate in Sports Massage Therapy.
How much does the course cost?
£900 including assessment fees.
Lifetime VTCT Registration fee of £16.00 may be required.
If you are interested in gaining this new qualification, please contact us for more details.
For further information please call:
07762 845 888